Saturday, October 9, 2010

Task 2 NIE - How I should schedule my semester

This is my third year doing IMKE which means that I have to concentrate on getting the necessary amount of credit points – but also covering all needed modules in certain amount.
I had to consider what courses are availabe and complementary for me depending on IMKE 2008 curriculum.
Because last 3 years I have been working for a company in a position where it was really hard to do real timescheduling – many quick things came in several times a day and it was my responsibility to cover them. I am not really good at timescheduling anymore. I do those things that are burning already, and at the last minute.
Overall I use different tools to remember things I have to do.
Google toolsGoogle Calendar (it's good that IMKE schedule is also in Google calendar now, that allowed to copy it to my own calendar). All together I have 5 different calendars – personal, IMKE, work, team, to-do. I have managed to come up with my own system how to keep track of them.
With several calendars I use reminders with SMS and Email. For example with IMKE and personal calendar.
Google Bookmarks. I have also used other bookmarking tools before. Althought with most of them synchronizing can be done easily, I have still lost important bookmarks when changing computers. And I have had to do it several times this year for example. Therefore I planned now in September to keep at least all IMKE related bookmarks in Google Bookmarks.
Google mail. As I use Google calendar and some reminders, then Google mail is the central place that brings everything together.
As a phone I use Iphone and also it's calendar tht has been syncronized with iCal that again has been syncronized with Google calendar as well.
At the same time I am also kind of old-school and sometimes I need to see things in real, with handwritten in my real bookcalendar. I also tend to remember things much better that I write down with my hand. Otherwise I tend to forget tasks or even forget to check onine what tasks I needed to do – and doing those that I do remember currently.
I created a mindmap of how I scheduled my things for this semester. I have to be honest to say that I am taking week by week and know the basic things I have to manage every month, to be able to get as many needed subjects as possible.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey,
First of all you sound a master of handling different calendars at the same time :).
You have presented a clear and understandable scheme, which provides an overview of the tools you need(ed), your responsibilities that influenced your decisions regarding your study plan, but it also represents curriculum related aspects as the main driving force in this process.
Greetings,
Terje