Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Chapter 9 - Room will be filled anyway

I found Parkinson's Law of Data with 2 other Laws were the most true definitions on Jargon File.
I just liked the definition "Data expands to fill the space available for storage". I have felt it myself and seen all other people around me suffering for the same reason.
When I had my first PC, it had 3 giga harddrive, and I was really happy over it, I could watch movies, had several hundreds of music files and liked my PC and considered it to be a good and enough for me. Then the PC crashed and I was forced to get a new one. he new one had everything more, memory, harddrive, videocard etc... and I started to have more data. Windows itself took more and more space on C disc.
Then I got my first laptop - I just could not believe my happiness - I had 40 Gigabytes of harddrive, for me it meant thousands of files of music and after some time no stored movie on my laptop. This one also crashed, and unfortunately I did not get a laptop with bigger harddrive, but the same - I was really sad, for 2 years I basically could not include any new music files to my computer, because it was full - 30 gigas of music (I was even forced to remove some music from laptop, it was a traumatic experience) and a little bit other things.
Fortunately my luck changed :) and now I have 160 gigas of harddrive, I have had it for 2 months and half of it is full.
The more room there is the more things will be put inside (also applies to any living condition, it does not matter how big house someone has, it will be full of things anyway).

No comments: