Thursday, December 4, 2008

Chapter 13 - Do I own this comment?

I do not believe in the world without copyright and ownership. I think the main thing that makes people angry is that from ownership mostly big companies and richer countries benefit. But at the same time we could not live in the world where everything belongs to everybody.
Of course it would be nice to think that intellectual people, scientists and researches would develop their ideas because they want to and they would be triggered by other motivation actions. But How long would that last?
I think that it is in human nature to want to own something. Starting from ones home and ending with the work tools used for example cutting wood.
Actually when things are copyright you know wehre to turn to when you need to ask or investigate anything. If I read a research paper abstract and I would not know the author because it is not needed to connect it with him then, how could I contact the scientist to know or as more or to offer my help on this research thing.
Or for example the situation with Ashleigh Brilliant, "professional epigrammatist." although I do feel that it is quite weird the she asks for money, but at the same time I totally agree that if she has come up with those sentences then she should get some credit (either material or not) for it.
I agree with Martins view that - It can cost a lot to set up and operate a system of intellectual property.
But again, I think so what? We have different people in the world. If I want to help someone then I do not ask any credit for that. But at the same time, if I have written a poem and I choose to make it public, I want others to know it was me.
For me it seems that if there is no control of copyright and next “Mozart” does not have right to claim for credit for his musical work, then what to de have as people. It would go there that everything would belong to everyone, and even those who are willing to make a bigger contribution and do more, decide not to do anymore and loose their interest and willing.
In this current world every person has their chances and choices. I do not think that the problem with big corporations that seems to be the actual problem should be solved with the world without copyrights.

No comments: